Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

dEaDINBURGH: Vantage (Din Eidyn Corpus #1) - Mark Wilson

Description:

Edinburgh, 1645:
The bubonic plague rages. In a desperate attempt to quarantine the infected, the city leaders seal the residents of Mary King's Close in their underground homes.

2015:
Mary King's Close is reopened, unleashing a mutated plague upon the city residents.
The UK government seals the entire city. Declaring it a dead zone they seal the survivors inside alongside the infected. dEaDINBURGH is declared a no man's land, its residents left for dead and to the dead.

2050:
Joseph MacLeod, born onto the cobbles of the Royal Mile and stolen from the clutches of the infected is determined to escape the quarantined city. Under the guidance of former marine Padre Jock, he leaves the confines of the city centre and hones his archery and free-running skills.
Alys Shephard, born into an all-women farming community believes a cure lies in the south of the quarantined zone. The finest combatant in the dead city, Alys burns with anger. The anger of an abandoned child.

Something much worse than the infected waits for them in the south, in the form of a religious cult led by a madman named Somna who collects gruesome trophies and worships the dead body of a former celebrity. Added to this the enigmatic Bracha, a supreme survivalist and sadistic former Royal with his own agenda, stalks the teenagers.

A self-contained story, dEaDINBURGH is a character-driven Young Adult/Horror/Dystopian novel exploring the human capacity for good, evil and for survival.
 

Review:  

I enjoyed this book very much. It was a fun and easy read. 
I am a huge fan of YA books and a Jonathan Maberry fan as I see Mr. Wilson is as well. 
I'm always in the market for new books and authors and dam very happy to have found this series. 

I do like the main characters and their friendship with each other. I appreciate that they are more down to earth characters that they can admit their weaknesses. 
There are parts of the book where you knew what was going to happen but I was still surprised by it. 
I was so very pleasantly surprised (and abhorred) with the end and how humanity is. I really did not have any expectations of what would happen so I was very surprised. 
I recommend this book and I am looking forward to the next book!! Let me know when it's ready. 
Great book!!

No comments: